June 5, 2008

Tokyo Sushi

by Arikka Fullmer

725 E 3300 S
Salt Lake City, UT
menu at: TokyoSushi

The Food
(taste/flavor/quality of food & drinks)
>>>> = a favorite, can count on it being good every time
The Atmosphere (environment, wait staff, comfortableness)
x
xx = good but could be improved
Price (what to generally expect to pay per person per entree)
$$= $10
Value (what you get for your money)
**** =
Worth It -You won't be disapointed with what you get for the $$

Tokyo Sushi in Salt Lake City is sandwiched between a car wash and a strip mall. Not your ideal, atmospheric location. But this raw fish joint is very Mom and Pop.
No frills here. The walls are bland but the food isn’t! The specials menu was delivered to us on two wrinkled pieces of paper, hand written. The ‘printed’ menu had typical Japanese dishes and a wide variety of sushi options. What Tokyo lacks in atmosphere they make up for in friendly service and great prices.
Our group was made up of four ladies. Yes ladies night! We started with two orders of edamame, served hot and salty just like I love it. The Pearl sake was smooth and kept my hungry hands busy while we waited for our orders to be crafted.
I’m not a sushi expert so I’ve never had the option of mango before! I got the LA roll, yellow tail, spicy chili and mango! My favorite and priced right at $8. Other tasty rolls were as low as $4! We all loved the firecraker roll. I was up for new adventures so I ordered my first roll with scallops....boring!
My only other complaint, the caved in booth seat with a spring in my butt not in my step. As the Saturday night rush trickled in I realized Tokyo Sushi relies on their eclectic and devote customers to provide the atmosphere. No need for stylish wood carvings or bamboo displays when you've got mullet man, frenching euro couple, and us of course! As for that handwritten menu...who cares when it delivered the best roll of the night.
In the end I was pleasantly stuffed from three rolls, edamame and sake for a total of $25. You don’t have to be a sushi snob to know that’s a deal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment